Nowadays it’s hard to ignore that were not getting any younger in terms of what we look or what others look at us. Especially when we have a dark spot on our face. Dark spot grows and appears when we get older if we don’t do any ways to prevent it.
Table of Contents
What is Dark Spot?
The dark spot also known as hyperpigmentation is the over production of melanin(skin pigment). Dark spot develops through UV light exposure and aging. It grows and appears if the skin is damaged.
Dark spot can appear in any area of the skin, but we can see at more on the face. Because of over exposure to sunlight. Some may appear to the back of the hands, the shoulders, the arms, and the back.
Dark spot has three types that can be formed to the skin
- Ephelides – ephelides commonly refer as freckles
- Lentigines – lentigines is like a smooth brown spot
- Melasma – Melasma is hyperpigmentation
How to treat dark spot
Dark spot can be treated by prescribed medication, medical procedure and at home treatment.
Using bleaching cream can help to diminish the appearance of dark spot. But it takes a lot of care because bleaching cream contains abrasive ingredients that make the skin very sensitive to sunlight or UV exposure.
The medical procedure consists of:
Laser therapy can help to penetrate the skin affected areas of the face. It also called as laser resurfacing that help to reduce facial wrinkles, skin irregularities, acne and dark spots.
This procedure is also known as lasabrasion, laser peel, and laser vaporization.
Laser resurfacing is the procedure that uses a laser to improve the skin appearance. It treats minor facial flaws by removing the layer of the skin. It can be done by two procedure:
Ablative laser. Ablative laser use a wounding laser, which removes a thin layer of the skin. This kind of treatments consist of carbon dioxide (CO2) laser and erbium laser
Nonablative laser. Nonablative laser use as nonwounding laser which stimulates collagen growth and helps to tighten the underlying skin. These treatments consist of intense pulsed light (IPL) device.
Some condition that can be treated by laser therapy:
- Acne Scarring
- Broken Capillaries
- Brown Spots
- Enlarge Pores
- Scar Treatment
- Sun Damage
- Wrinkles and Fine Lines
A chemical peel is a technique that needs chemical solution before applying to the skin. It is used to improve the skin appearance and causes it to exfoliate and the skin peels off. The new skin appears with soft and it lessens the wrinkles of old skin.
A chemical peel can improve the areas of the skin sun damage. A chemical peel can be consulted to a dermatologist before going for some procedure. It is safe to know what kind of procedure that fits your skin condition before treating it with a chemical peel or other medication.
Microdermabrasion is good for all skin types and color. It uses tiny exfoliating crystals for the skin to sprayed. It is best for dull skin, brown spot or dark spot, and age spots.
Microdermabrasion is not applicable with the skin condition such as scars, stretch marks, wrinkles or deep acne.
Dermabrasion needs dermatologist or plastic surgeon with the use of a special medical instrument. Dermabrasion can treat acne, pox marks, and scars. It is not effective for treating congenital skin defects, most moles, pigmented birthmarks, and scars caused by burns.
Home treatment for dark spots
Lemon juice is used to lighten dark spots. It has an organic bleaching and natural acidity that remove age spots. It contains antioxidant, antibacterial, vitamin C and citric acid. Lemon juice helps to reduce excess oil.
How to apply lemon juice:
Mix drops of lemon juice to a few drops of coconut oil. Apply it to dark spot area of the skin with a cotton ball twice a day.
Don’t let your skin over expose to the sun if you apply lemon juice to your face.
Aloe vera contains anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and other natural properties. It is effective in treating hyperpigmentation. Aloe vera can treat new develop areas of dark spot. It makes the complexion fresh and glowing.
How to apply aloe vera:
Apply aloe vera to dark spot area of the skin. Put aloe vera gel directly to the skin with cotton ball about thirty minutes before going to bedtime
Let it stay until morning. Rinse the gel off to your face and wash it with warm water or take a shower to remove aloe vera gel.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in antioxidants and minerals. Apple cider vinegar can treat scars and pigmentation because they have alpha hydroxy acid that gets rids of the dead cell.
How to apply apple cider vinegar:
Mix apple cider vinegar with water. Then apply it all over your face. Leave it until 20 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
Potato has natural bleaching properties that help to remove dark spots, scars as well as blemishes. It is rich in vitamin B, vitamin C and brightens skin tone. Potato can fight acne and good for exfoliation.
How to apply potato:
Cut potato and place it directly to black spots. Leave it for 10 minutes and wash it with warm water. Pat it dry with a face towel.
Turmeric can lighten skin dark spot. It also helps to repair skin damage and skin pigmentation and discoloration. Turmeric has anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
How to apply turmeric:
It can be a face mask. Mix a small amount of Greek yogurt, honey and turmeric then apply to face. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it with warm water. Pat it dry with the face towel.
Onion is rich in acidic properties and antioxidant. It is also contain antiseptic, antimicrobial and carminative properties. It provide healthy and glowing skin. It benefits anti aging, treat acne and lighten the skin. It also treat dark spot and pigmentation
How to apply onion:
Blend onion then apply it to the area of dark spot. Leave it for 10 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry with face towel.
Buttermilk has lactic acid and alpha hydroxy acid that remove dead skin cells.
How to apply raw buttermilk:
Put a little amount of buttermilk in a small bowl. Apply buttermilk using cotton ball to the dark spot area of the skin. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it with clean water. Pat it dry with face towel.
Oatmeal is good for using washing face as a mild cleanser. It also good for dry and combination skin. Oatmeal also helps eczema to recover moisture and restore the skin barrier.
Oatmeal also uses as an excellent scrub for sensitive skin. It can also use as a moisturizer because it contains lipids and protein that has humectant, occlusive and emollient properties.
It also has anti inflammatory nature that helps in soothing and treats acne.
How to apply oatmeal:
Mix ground oatmeal with honey and milk until it becomes a paste. Apply it to face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry with a face towel.
Cucumber is high in water content that gives moisture to the skin. It contains cucurbitacins and cucumerin, which help to reduce skin from aging. It has antioxidant, vitamin A vitamin B5, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K that fight skin discoloration like acne, scars, freckles, dark circles and dark spots.
How to apply cucumber:
Blend the cucumber together with aloe vera and lemon juice. Rinse it to the face and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
Milk is rich in vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin D, and calcium. Milk can help the skin produce a new cell. It removes dead skin and fight pigmentation. It also helps to treat all dark spots.
How to apply milk:
Apply milk all over the face using a cotton ball. Massage it on the dark spot on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with water and pat it dry with a face towel.
Cause of Dark Spot
- UV exposure or direct to sunlight. Over expose to sun light may cause damage to the skin. It also increases the area of the dark spot. The skin gets darker if we expose to the sun too much. Photo aging begins with direct sun exposure. It may be harmful to the skin because of the UVA and UVB rays. Prolonged sun exposure can lead to excess melanin production which can damage the skin.
- Uneven pigmentation. The damage of the skin is deep that need time to treat it.
- Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation doesn’t treat overnight. It needs a lot of patients especially if you over exposure to the sun.
Hyperpigmentation can be called as melasma. Melasma is unsightly dark spot on the cheek, forehead, and area above the upper lip.
- Genetics. It also causes of a dark spot because of the genes we have.
- Hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance can cause dark spot because of the melasma during pregnancy, stress, contraceptive pills, and menopausal.
- Dark spots from pimples. Pimples can also cause a dark spot on the face. If pimples appeared on the face it’s hard to prevent them from sun burn. But when they cure they leave a dark spot on the area that they appeared.
- Medicine. There is some medication that can also cause dark spot.
- Aging can cause dark spots. The skin cell does not reproduce easily if you’re older.
How to Get Rid Dark Spot.
- Avoid sun exposure. Always wear shade if you go outside to cover your eyes to sunlight.
- Use SPF sunscreen whenever you go every day. It protects the skin against sun damage.
- Wear a hat that would cover your face to sunlight to protect your face from hyperpigmentation.
- Use a moisturizer every day to protect your skin from irritation and damage.
- Use skin cleansing brush it helps to remove the top layer of the skin. It also gets rid of the dead skin.
- Use retinoid for dark spots it consists of vitamin A to improve the cell of the skin. It also helps erase spots faster. It helps your complexion smooth and diminishes.
- Use Castrol oil to get rid of dark spots. Castrol oil can help the skin against the dark spot.
- Washing and cleaning your face regularly. Use exfoliation after cleaning or facial toner.
How to prevent dark spot
- Eat food with antioxidant. Eat healthy food with antioxidant will help the skin to protect it from darkening and will keep the skin healthy.
- Exfoliate and use brightening serum to prevent dark spot. Exfoliation can also help skin to reduce wrinkles, acne, and dryness.
- Avoid using different moisturizer product. Using too many different cosmetic or moisturizer product will worsen your skin problem
- Avoid scrubbing too much that will leave a dark spot.
- Keep away from stress. Stress can increase the inflammation that leads acne breakouts. To prevent it use a moisturizer that contains salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and noncomedogenic moisturizer so the skin won’t get dry or irritated.
- Remove your makeup before going to bed or before going to sleep. It helps the skin to refresh and relax if your skin is clean.