Nowadays it’s hard to ignore that were not getting any younger in terms of what we look or what others look at us. Especially when we have a dark spot on our face. Dark spot grows and appears when we get older if we don’t do any ways to prevent it.
Table of Contents
What is Dark Spot?
The dark spot also known as hyperpigmentation is the over production of melanin(skin pigment). Dark spot develops through direct exposure to UV light and sign of aging. It grows and appears if the skin is damaged.
Dark spot can also see in any area of the skin, but we can see at more on the face. Because of the long period of time that we let our skin exposure to sunlight. Some may appear to the back of the hands, the shoulders, the arms, and at the back.
Dark spot has three types that can be formed to the skin
- Ephelides – ephelides commonly refer as freckles
- Lentigines – lentigines is like a smooth brown spot
- Melasma – Melasma is hyperpigmentation
How to treat dark spot
Dark spot can be treated by prescribed medication, medical procedure and at home treatment.
Using bleaching cream can help to diminish the appearance of dark spot. But it takes a lot of care because bleaching cream contains abrasive ingredients that make the skin very sensitive to sunlight or UV exposure.
The medical procedure consists of:
Laser therapy can use to penetrate the skin affected areas of the face. It also called as laser resurfacing that help to lessen facial wrinkles, skin irregularities, acne and dark spots.
This procedure is also known as lasabrasion, laser peel, and laser vaporization.
Laser resurfacing is the method that uses a laser to improve the skin appearance. It treats minor facial flaws by eliminating the layer of the skin. It can be done by two procedure:
Ablative laser. The ablative laser uses a wounding laser, which removes a thin layer of the skin. This kind of medication consists of carbon dioxide (CO2) laser and erbium laser
Nonablative laser. Nonablative laser use as a non-wounding laser which nourishes collagen growth and helps to tighten the underlying skin. These medications consist of intense pulsed light (IPL) device.
Some condition that can be treated by laser therapy:
- Acne Scarring
- Broken Capillaries
- Brown Spots
- Enlarge Pores
- Scar Treatment
- Sun Damage
- Wrinkles and Fine Lines
A chemical peel is a technique that needs a chemical solution before applying to the skin. It is used to improve the skin appearance and some skin problem. It also used to exfoliate and the skin peels off. The new skin appears with soft and it minimizes the wrinkles of old skin.
A chemical peel can improve the areas of the skin sun damage. A chemical peel can be consulted to a dermatologist before going for some procedure. It is safe to know what kind of procedure that fits your skin condition before treating it with a chemical peel or other medication.
Microdermabrasion is good for all skin types and color. It uses tiny exfoliating crystals for the skin to sprayed. It is best for dull skin, brown spot or dark spot, and age spots.
Microdermabrasion is not applicable with the skin condition such as scars, stretch marks, wrinkles or deep acne.
Dermabrasion needs dermatologist or plastic surgeon with the use of a special medical instrument. Dermabrasion can treat acne, pox marks, and scars. It is not helpful for treating congenital skin defects, most moles, pigmented birthmarks, and scars caused by burns.
Home treatment for dark spots
Lemon juice is used to lighten dark spots. It has an organic bleaching and natural acidity that take away some age spots. It contains antioxidant, antibacterial, vitamin C and citric acid. Lemon juice helps to reduce the extra amount of oil in our skin.
How to apply lemon juice:
Mix drops of lemon juice to a few drops of coconut oil. Apply it to dark spot area of the skin with a cotton ball twice a day.
Don’t let your skin over expose to the sun if you apply lemon juice to your face to avoid irritation.
Aloe vera contains anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and other natural properties. It is essential in treating hyperpigmentation. Aloe vera can treat the new growing dark spot in some area of our face. It makes the complexion fresh and glowing.
How to apply aloe vera:
Apply aloe vera to dark spot area of the skin. Put aloe vera gel directly to the skin with cotton ball about thirty minutes before going to bedtime
Let it stay until morning. Rinse the gel off to your face and wash it with warm water or take a shower to remove aloe vera gel.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in antioxidants and minerals. Apple cider vinegar can treat scars and pigmentation because they have alpha hydroxy acid that gets rids of the dead cell.
How to apply apple cider vinegar:
Mix apple cider vinegar with water. Then apply it all over your face. Leave it until 20 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
Potato has natural bleaching properties that help to take away dark spots, scars as well as blemishes. It is very rich in vitamin B, vitamin C and brightens skin tone. Potato can fight acne and good for exfoliation.
How to apply potato:
Cut potato and place it directly in black spots. Leave it for 10 minutes and wash it with warm water. Pat it dry with a face towel.
Using turmeric can lighten skin dark spot. It also helps to repair skin damage and skin pigmentation and discoloration. Turmeric has anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
How to apply turmeric:
It can be used as a face mask. Mix a small amount of Greek yogurt, a little bit of honey and turmeric then apply to face. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it with warm water. Pat it dry with the face towel.
Onion is rich in acidic properties and antioxidant. It also contains antiseptic, antimicrobial and carminative properties. It gives healthy and glowing skin. It is beneficial to those who have skin aging, acne and can also help to lighten the skin. It also use to treat dark spot and pigmentation
How to apply onion:
Blend onion then applies it to the area of dark spot. Leave it for 10 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry with a face towel.
Buttermilk has lactic acid and alpha hydroxy acid that takes away all dead skin cells.
How to apply raw buttermilk:
Put a little amount of buttermilk in a small bowl. Apply buttermilk using a cotton ball to the dark spot area of the skin. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it with clean water. Pat it dry with a face towel.
Oatmeal is good for washing face with a mild cleanser. It also good for dry and combination skin. Oatmeal also helps eczema to return its moisture and restore the skin barrier.
Oatmeal also extremely good for sensitive skin when using it as a facial scrub. Oatmeal can also be a good substitute for a moisturizer because it contains lipids and protein that has humectant, occlusive and emollient properties.
It also has anti inflammatory nature that helps in soothing and treats some acne.
How to apply oatmeal:
Mix ground oatmeal with honey and milk until it becomes a paste. Apply it to face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry with a face towel.
Cucumber is an excessive amount of water content that gives moisture to the skin. It contains cucurbitacins which help to minimize skin from aging. It has antioxidant, vitamin A vitamin B5, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K that fight skin discoloration like acne, scars, freckles, dark circles and dark spots.
How to apply cucumber:
Blend the cucumber together with aloe vera and lemon juice. Rinse it to the face and leave it for 20 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
Milk is rich in vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin D, and calcium. Milk can help the skin produce a new cell. It takes away all dead skin and fights pigmentation. It also helps to lessen dark spots.
How to apply milk:
Apply milk all over the face using a cotton ball. Massage it on the dark spot on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with water and pat it dry with a face towel.
Cause of Dark Spot
- UV exposure or direct to sunlight. Letting our self-expose to sun light in a long time may cause much damage to the skin. It also increases the area of the dark spot and other skin problem. The skin gets darker if we expose to the sun too much. Photo aging begins with direct sun exposure. It may be very harmful to the skin because of the UVA and UVB rays. Too much sun exposure can lead to excess melanin production which can damage our skin.
- Uneven pigmentation. The damage of the skin is deep that need time to treat it.
- Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation doesn’t treat overnight. It needs a lot of patience especially if you over exposure to the sun.
Hyperpigmentation can be called as melasma. Melasma is an unpleasant appearance of a dark spot on the cheek, forehead, and area above the upper lip.
- Genetics. It also causes of a dark spot because of the genes we have inherited to our parents or grand parents.
- Hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance can cause dark spot because of the melasma during pregnancy, stress, contraceptive pills, and menopausal.
- Dark spots from pimples. Pimples can also source of a dark spot on the face. If pimples appeared on the face it’s very hard to prevent them from sun burn. But when they cure they leave a dark spot on the area of the surface.
- Medicine. There is some medication that can also affect to our skin and may cause dark spot.
- Aging can cause dark spots. The skin cell does not reproduce easily if you’re older.
How to Get Rid Dark Spot.
- Avoid sun exposure. Always wear a shade or other thing that can protect us to sunlight if you go outside to cover our eyes and our skin to sunlight.
- Use SPF sunscreen whenever you go every day. It protects the skin against sun damage.
- Wear a hat that would cover your face to sunlight to depend on your face from hyperpigmentation.
- Use a moisturizer every day to protect your skin from irritation and some skin damage.
- Use skin cleansing brush it helps to remove the top layer of the skin. It also takes away all the dead skin cell.
- Use retinoid for dark spots it consists of vitamin A to enhance the cell of the skin. It also helps eliminate spots faster. It helps your complexion smooth and healthy.
- Use Castrol oil to take away of dark spots. Castrol oil can help the skin against the dark spot.
- Washing and cleaning your face regularly. Use exfoliation after cleaning or facial toner.
How to prevent dark spot
- Eat food with antioxidant. Eat healthy food with antioxidant will help the skin to protect it from darkening and will keep the skin healthy. Right food with the right diet can boost our skin and body to become healthy.
- Exfoliate and use brightening serum to prevent dark spot. Exfoliation can also help skin to minimize wrinkles, acne, and dryness.
- Avoid using many different moisturizer products. Using too many different cosmetic or moisturizer product will worsen your skin problem and skin condition.
- Avoid scrubbing too much that will leave some dark spot on our face.
- Keep away from stress. Stress can increase the inflammation that leads acne breakouts. To prevent it use a moisturizer that contains salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and noncomedogenic moisturizer so the skin won’t get dry or irritated. And always have enough sleep so that stress cannot trigger.
- Remove your makeup before going to bed or before going to sleep. It helps the skin to refresh and relax if your skin is clean.