Moisturizer stays in the market because people need moisturizer. Having dry skin is not just easy to treat, it needs a moisturizer to stay the moisture in the skin.
It’s a routine that we need to apply moisturizer to your skin to maintain the softness and young looking. Dry skin is one of the problems of our skin it appears when our body does not have enough amount of water. Dry skin needs nourishment to maintain the soft, smooth texture of the skin.
Table of Contents
What is Dry Skin
Dry skin is when you feel your skin is itchy and when your skin is dull, rough and less elasticity. Skin can crack peel and become very dry. Dry skin a very common condition and can be formed by having not enough of water in the uppermost layer of the skin.
It is important to know why dry skin occurs and we can learn what product is more effective for dry skin. To understand how to treat dry skin is also important.
The problem for dry skin is having not enough of natural oil. It is called sebum. Dry skin is less in moisture and more capable to irritation from harsh cleanser, chemicals, and preservatives than oily skin.
Symptoms of Dry Skin
These are the symptoms of dry skin that most people experiencing:
- Rough or very dry patches of the skin
- Sensitive skin
- Red skin
- Tight skin
- Itchy skin
- Flaky skin
- Fine line and cracks skin
Treatment for Dry Skin
- Cleansing and washing your face. Washing our face every day is one of the most important routines that we need to do to treat dry skin. It also helps to clean all the impurities from the skin
- Using warm water when washing our face it better to the skin. Do not use hot water because it will accumulate the dryness of the skin.
- Exfoliate your face. Exfoliating can helpful to our skin because it takes away the dead skin and improves the freshness and healthy skin. Exfoliation can also beneficial to the flow of our blood circulation and can help to achieve healthy and glowing skin.
Benefits of exfoliation:
>Exfoliation is beneficial to our skin because it can blemish dry skin and it can also avoid irritation.
>Exfoliation is beneficial to our skin because it can eliminate the dark marks of the skin.
> Exfoliation is beneficial to our skin because it can lessen pigmentation and helps promote healthy skin production.
> It is also beneficial to our skin because it helps to keep away the dryness of the skin and it hydrates the body.
- Moisturize your skin. Using moisturizer is the best to help the dry skin protected, it protects the skin from damage and itchiness. Petroleum jelly can also help to moisturize dry skin. Moisturize your skin every day can lock the moisture and prevent further loss of moisture from the top layer of the skin. We can use some product with moisturizing ingredients like glycerine and colloidal oatmeal for cleansing and body wash.
- Use sunscreen when going out. Using sun protection is important not only for the dry skin but also for all types of the skin. Direct exposure to the sun will damage the skin and cause dryness. Use a moisturizer that contains SPF 15 or above is good to protect our skin from damage and cause of sunspot and even wrinkles. Use broad-spectrum SPF 30 to prevent dry skin.
- Drink water. Drinking water is the most and useful way that our body needs every day. It will help our skin not to dehydrate and stay the moisture of the skin. It also plays the very important role in our life because lack of water will cause much trouble to our body. It flushes toxins from the body system and gives nutrients to the body. Not having enough of water will cause our skin to be drier and also all the major parts of our body will be affected.
- Eat healthy food. Fresh fruits and vegetable foods can help the skin stay healthy and hydrated. A healthy diet and right nutrition like foods that contain Omega 3 include Walnuts, safflower oil, tuna, sardines, herring, halibut, and mackerel.
Orange and yellow veggies contain beta carotene is a big help to fight dry skin. Spinach and other dark leafy green are rich in iron, omega 4 fatty acid and vitamin A, vitamin B, and vitamin E, which protect the skin and improve the immune system. Phytochemical and folates also help the skin hydrated and keep it healthy.
Fruits especially water-dense fruits is a great way to hydrate and protect the skin. Fruits that contain vitamin A and vitamin C has antioxidant that replenished nutrient in the skin and promote more collagen.
- Avoid smoking. We all know that smoking is not good for the skin and for the body. It causes dry skin, clog the pores, increase blackheads and breakouts. The disadvantage of using a cigarette to our body and to our skin will lead us to many skin condition. It deprives our skin not to have enough oxygen and nutrients of the body. Smoking leads your skin to roughness, sagging, and wrinkling. Not only this it also decreases your blood flow and depletes the natural antioxidant in your body.
Causes Of Dry Skin
- Genetics. Some people have dry skin because of their genes. It passes through generation through generation.
- Direct sun exposure. If we let our skin to be more exposed to sunlight for a long period of time it will cause dry skin, wrinkles, and roughness.
- Lack of Water. Having not enough of water in our body may cause dehydration and lessen the production of digestive juices which also cause dryness.
- Hormonal change. Hormonal change may cause dry skin. These are menopausal, pregnancy, and aging. Dry skin often develops when we get older and it is mostly affected by all women.
- Medication. Taking medication can also cause dry skin. Like high blood pressure, acne, and other skin condition. Skin condition like eczema and psoriasis are usually treated with medication.
- Using different products. Applying a different moisturizer that will not fit into our skin types will remove all natural oil from the skin.
- Dry Air. Dry air may also cause dry skin if the air outside is very dry the possibilities for our skin to be dry because the water that we have in our skin may evaporate.
- A long shower with hot water can cause dry skin. Staying in a hot shower for too long can cause the skin very dry because it removes the natural moisturizing ability of the skin surface cells. Using too much soap in a long shower can remove protective lipids and damage skin protein.
- Do not use alcohol, fragrance, retinoids, and high level of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) products because it will lessen the natural oil of the skin.
- Drinking and smoking affect the skin and cause the skin from dryness. Long term of smoking can dry skin and cause aging skin. Cigarettes further dry your skin and dehydrate you. Smoking can cause an acceleration of the aging process in the skin.
WHAT IS ALPHA HYDROXY ACID
Alpha-hydroxy acid is frequently used for cosmetics product. Alpha hydroxy acid is naturally found in food such as apples, citrus, sugar cane, milk, and grapes.
Alpha hydroxy acid treat skin to lessen the oil and help get rid of acne and blackheads.
Alpha hydroxy acid improve skin texture by removing dead skin cell.
It also reduces the skin discoloration, like age spot and hyperpigmentation from scarring.
Alpha hydroxy acid can give moisture to the skin. But it also increases the dryness of the skin if you use so many amounts of alpha hydroxy acid.
How to Avoid Dry Skin
- Use warm water when washing or cleaning your skin. Take a short shower with warm water to avoid dryness of the skin.
- Use mild moisturizer and facial cleanser to your skin it is most effective to avoid dry skin. When applying moisturizer it is better to use it after taking a bath or it is better if our skin is clean.
- Look for a moisturizer or ointment that has olive oil. Or with the ingredients that have lactic acid, hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, glycerin, mineral oil, and petrolatum. Ointment creams and lotion work to moisture the skin. The ointment that contains oil such as olive oil or jojoba oil. Olive oil helps the skin to free from the damage it nourishes the skin.
- Use a moisturizer that can nourish dry skin. When you feel your skin is dried out and rough find a moisturizer and look for the product that contains nutrient to help restore dry skin.
- Get enough water. Drinking enough water will help to avoid dry skin. So make sure you constantly drink at least 6 to 8 glass of water every day to keep your body and skin hydrated.
- Avoid using heavy and strong ingredients or detergents and softener so that the skin will not suffer from dryness. Do not use antibacterial gel which contains alcohol.
Natural ways to Get Rid Dry Skin
- Avocado can penetrate deep into the skin and help to soften and hydrate the skin. It also minimizes wrinkles and treats sunburns. It also soothes and nourishes dry facial skin. Avocado repair damaged skin and parched hair. Avocado is rich in vitamins, protein, copper, fiber, and monounsaturated fats that good and beneficial for the body. Apply avocado paste to your face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
- Olive oil. If you have a very dry skin apply olive oil as a night cream and in the morning you will see the result of your face, it becomes soft and very smooth. Olive oil is full and rich in vitamin E and good fats that will moisture skin both inside and out side. Olive oil can help calm the skin irritation and fight sagging skin.
- Banana, yogurt, and honey. It promotes good blood circulation due to the honey deep penetration. Yogurt frees the skin from old cells, while banana nourishes the face of the skin. Banana, yogurt, and honey are very gentle and great as a face mask with the pleasant texture.Together with these three blend it and put it to face after 20 minutes wash it with warm water and pat it dry with the face towel.
- Aloe Vera and cucumber. Aloe Vera contains nutrient and has properties that can deeply clean the skin. It also completely removes all the dirt of the skin and preventing skin from clogging. Cucumber contains vitamin E and it is very good in repairing, moisturizing, and protecting the skin cell. Also, cucumber contains antioxidant that fight free radicals that cause premature aging. Using aloe vera plus cucumber together is helpful for our skin. You need to put it together in the blender and spread it to face until 20 minutes. Wash your face and see the result of your skin it becomes softer.
- Milk Cream. Using milk can help get rid of the dry and itchy skin. Milk also is good for exfoliation of our dry skin. There are many types and kinds of milk like raw milk, pasteurized milk, full cream milk, reduced fat milk, skimmed milk, flavored milk, calcium enriched milk, and lactose-free milk. Milk has many benefits to our body: it keeps bones healthy, help weight loss, it also best source of calcium, also good as food supplement, improve hydration, improve complexion, excellent cleanser, shrink pores, remove dead cell, smooth skin, treat sunburns good moisturizer, and milk can help radiant skin.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal is best for all types of skin, it also removes dead skin cell. The oatmeal face mask is great for cleansing, exfoliant, and for moisturizing properties. Oatmeal can keep skin feeling soft, smooth, healthy and radiant.
- Mayonnaise. Using mayonnaise for dry skin is excellent and very useful for the skin dry. Mayonnaise is the best natural skin hydration. It preserves moisture in the dry skin cell. It helps to manage the skin inflammation and take away all the dead cell. Mayonnaise face mask is an effective treatment for dry facial skin. Mayo contains vinegar, that stimulates the turnover of the skin. Apply mayonnaise to the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
- Ice Cube. Using an ice cube to the face make our blood circulate regularly. Ice cube helps the dry skin and give moisture to the surface. Ice cubes are beneficial to our skin because it minimizes the large pores, it helps get away some acne, it can increase the blood circulation, and give the face a natural and healthy glow.