Moisturizer stays on the market because people need moisturizer. Having dry skin is not just easy to treat, it needs a moisturizer to stay the moisture in the skin.
It’s a routine that we need to apply moisturizer to your skin to maintain the softness and young looking. Dry skin is one of the problems of our skin it appears when our body does not have enough amount of water. Dry skin needs nourishment to maintain the soft, smooth texture of the skin.
Table of Contents
What is Dry Skin
Dry skin is when you feel your skin is itchy and when your skin is dull, rough and less elastic. Skin can crack peel and become very dry,a very common condition and can be formed by having not enough of water in the uppermost layer of the skin.
It is important to know why dry skin occurs and on learn what product is more effective for dry skin.
The problem for dry skin is not having enough of natural oil called sebum. Dry skin is more stimulated to irritation from cleanser, chemicals, and preservatives than oily skin.
Symptoms of Dry Skin
Often temporary, but it may also be a lifelong condition. The symptoms of dry skin are affected depending on your age, your health, location, outdoors and possibly something that needs treatment.
These are the common symptoms of dry skin that most people are experiencing:
- Rough or very dry patches of the skin
- Sensitive skin
- Red skin
- Tight skin
- Itchy skin
- Flaky skin
- Fine line and cracks skin
Treatment of Dry Skin
Treatment for dry skin may be as simple as it is but, in order to keep your skin from being dry will also depend on how you clean your skin, the air around you, and possibly even your clothing.
Dermatologists recommend the following to actually help you prevent or treat dry skin.
Cleansing and washing gently
Cleansing and washing gently especially on our face, one of the most important routines that we need to do to in order to treat dry skin.
Using warm water
Using warm water rather than hot water is better when taking a bath. This is because hot water removes natural oil barrier of your skin that could accumulate the dryness of the skin.
Exfoliate your face
Exfoliating can be very helpful to our skin, this is because it takes away the dead skin and improves the freshness of the skin by keeping our skin healthy. This is also beneficial to the flow of our blood circulation that can help achieve healthy and glowing skin.
Moisturize your skin
Using a moisturizer is the best way to help treat dry skin, it protects the skin from damage and itchiness. A Petroleum jelly can also help to moisturize dry skin. Reason is by keeping your skin moisturize it can prevent any further loss of moisture from the top layer of the skin.
Drinking water is the most and useful way to treat dry skin, by drinking 8 glass of water a day we are providing the water that our body needs to keep our skin hydrated.
Causes Of Dry Skin
There are many causes when it comes to dry skin but here are some of the common reasons as is to why we are experiencing or having dry skin.
Some people have dry skin just because of their genes that are passed from generation to generation.
Direct sun exposure
If we let our skin to be exposed on to much sunlight for a long period of time it will also be one of the reasons that cause dry skin, wrinkles, and roughness.
Lack of Water
Having not enough of water in our body may cause dehydration and lessen the production of digestive juices which also cause dryness.
Yes, Hormonal change may be the cause of dry skin. These are menopausal, pregnancy, and aging that often develops when we get older and it is mostly affected by all women.
Taking medication can also be the cause of dry skin. Like high blood pressure, acne, condition like eczema and psoriasis and other skin condition are usually treated with medication, that could also be the cause of your dry skin.
Using different products
Applying a different moisturizer that is not fit on your skin types will also be one of the causes because it can remove all natural oil from the skin leading to dry skin.
For some people air may also be the cause dry skin especially if the air outside is very dry for it may make your skin lose its moisture, This actually depends on what your skin type is.
A long hot shower
Staying in a hot shower for too long can cause the skin very dry because it removes the natural moisturizing ability of the skin surface. Also using too much soap in a long shower can remove protective lipids and damages skin protein.
High level of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) products
Do not use any product that has a high level of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) like a skin peeler, this is because it can lessen the natural oil of the skin.
What is Alpha Hydroxy Acid
Alpha-hydroxy acid is frequently used for cosmetics product.It is the acid that is naturally found in food such as apples, citrus, sugar cane, milk, and grapes.
Usually used to treat skin to lessen the oil and help get rid of acne and blackheads.
Drinking and smoking
Drinking and smoking actually affect the skin more than you could imagine and one of the common cause of dry skin. Cigarettes dry your skin and dehydrate your body that can cause an acceleration of the aging process in the skin.
Alpha hydroxy acid also improves skin texture by removing dead skin cell as well as reduces the skin discoloration, like age spot and hyperpigmentation from scarring.
But we also need to care about the amount Alpha-hydroxy acid we put on our skin, it can give moisture to our skin but too much can also increase the dryness of our skin. So please keep in mind.
How to Avoid Dry Skin
Avoid or prevent dry skin, as they say, prevention is better than cure, well here are some tips you could follow to avoid and prevent dry skin.
- Use warm water when washing or cleaning your skin. Take a short shower with warm water to avoid dryness of the skin.
- Use mild moisturizer and facial cleanser on your skin it is most effective to avoid dry skin. When applying moisturizer it is better to use it after taking a bath or it is better if our skin is clean.
- Look for a moisturizer or ointment that has olive oil. Or with the ingredients that have lactic acid, hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, glycerin, mineral oil, and petrolatum. Ointment creams and lotion work to moisture the skin. The ointment that contains oil such as olive oil or jojoba oil. Olive oil helps the skin to free from the damage it nourishes the skin.
- Use a moisturizer that can nourish dry skin. When you feel your skin is dried out and rough find a moisturizer and look for the product that contains nutrient to help restore dry skin.
- Get enough water. Drinking enough water will help to avoid dry skin. So make sure you constantly drink at least 6 to 8 glass of water every day to keep your body and skin hydrated.
- Avoid using heavy and strong ingredients or detergents and softener so that the skin will not suffer from dryness. Do not use antibacterial gel which contains alcohol.
Natural ways and home remedies to Get Rid Dry Skin
There are many ways you can do to hydrate your skin and prevent it from drying. Here are some home remedies ways you could do to keep your skin moisturize and healthy while also preventing it from drying.
- Avocado can penetrate deep into the skin and help to soften and hydrate the skin. It also minimizes wrinkles and treats sunburns. It also soothes and nourishes dry facial skin. Avocado repair damaged skin and parched hair. Avocado is rich in vitamins, protein, copper, fiber, and monounsaturated fats that good and beneficial for the body. Apply avocado paste to your face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
- Olive oil. If you have a very dry skin apply olive oil as a night cream and in the morning you will see the result of your face, it becomes soft and very smooth. Olive oil is full and rich in vitamin E and good fats that will moisture skin both inside and outside. Olive oil can help calm the skin irritation and fight sagging skin.
- Banana, yogurt, and honey. It promotes good blood circulation due to the honey deep penetration. Yogurt frees the skin from old cells, while banana nourishes the face of the skin. Banana, yogurt, and honey are very gentle and great as a face mask with the pleasant texture.Together with these three blend it and put it to face after 20 minutes wash it with warm water and pat it dry with the face towel.
- Aloe Vera and cucumber. Aloe Vera contains nutrient and has properties that can deeply clean the skin. It also completely removes all the dirt from the skin and preventing skin from clogging. Cucumber contains vitamin E and it is very good for repairing, moisturizing, and protecting the skin cell. Also, cucumber contains antioxidants that fight free radicals that cause premature aging. Using aloe vera plus cucumber together is helpful for our skin. You need to put it together in the blender and spread it to face until 20 minutes. Wash your face and see the result of your skin it becomes softer.
- Milk Cream. Using milk can help get rid of the dry and itchy skin. Milk also is good for exfoliation of our dry skin. There are many types and kinds of milk like raw milk, pasteurized milk, full cream milk, reduced fat milk, skimmed milk, flavored milk, calcium enriched milk, and lactose-free milk. Milk has many benefits to our body: it keeps bones healthy, help weight loss, it also best source of calcium, also good as food supplement, improve hydration, improve complexion, excellent cleanser, shrink pores, remove dead cell, smooth skin, treat sunburns good moisturizer, and milk can help radiant skin.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal is best for all types of skin, it also removes dead skin cell. The oatmeal face mask is great for cleansing, exfoliant, and for moisturizing properties. Oatmeal can keep skin feeling soft, smooth, healthy and radiant.
- Mayonnaise. Using mayonnaise for dry skin is excellent and very useful for the skin dry. Mayonnaise is the best natural skin hydration. It preserves moisture in the dry skin cell. It helps to manage the skin inflammation and take away all the dead cell. Mayonnaise face mask is an effective treatment for dry facial skin. Mayo contains vinegar, that stimulates the turnover of the skin. Apply mayonnaise to the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash it with warm water and pat it dry.
- Ice Cube. Using an ice cube to the face make our blood circulate regularly. Ice cube helps the dry skin and give moisture to the surface. Ice cubes are beneficial to our skin because it minimizes the large pores, it helps get away some acne, it can increase the blood circulation, and give the face a natural and healthy glow.
By understanding the causes of dry skin, we could actually use many ways to prevent or treat it before it gets even worse. Even though I mention about easy home remedies, it is still important for us to consider the use of a moisturizer especially for those whose work usually needs them to be outside for a long period of time causing permanent damage to their skin.
I believe, by combining home remedies and the use of a moisturizer will greatly help you in maintaining your skin healthy and beautiful.